visit our kind sponsors
On Sunday, January 30, the St. Paul’s chapter of the Daughters of the King welcomed two new members. Brenda Syle, president of the local chapter, initiated Rita Leigh and Maggie McGee Sock into the worldwide organization and presented each with the distinctive member’s cross. The Daughters of the King, which is dedicated to prayer and service, is an Order for women in the Episcopal Church, with chapters in the Roman Catholic, Anglican, and in the Evangelical Lutheran Churches in America.
Brenda Syle (center), installs Maggie McGee Sock (left) and Rita Leigh (right) into the St. Paul’s Chapter Order of the Daughters of the King. Kelsey Warriner (far left) and Molly Brunner (far right), youth of the parish, present bouquets to the inductees.
The Daughters of the King was founded in 1885 in New York City. By 1892 fifty chapters had been formed in the US. In 1895 the Canadian branch was formed, and in 1898 the order was established in England and around the worldwide Anglican Communion. In 1899 the order sponsored its first mission, Miss Charley Warnock of Atlanta, as a missionary in Wuchang, China. Currently, the Order has 1,770 chapters around the world, with a membership of 27,611.
Each member of the Order pledges herself to a lifelong program of prayer, service, and evangelism. The local chapter assists in strengthening the spiritual life of her parish by regular participation in worship, study, and works of charity.
The local chapter of the Daughters has as its patron the great Irish saint, Bridget of Kildare. A convert to Christianity, Bridget with a group of other women established a religious community in Kildare in the 5th Century C.E. This community of women was later joined by one for monks, creating a significant center of religious life in Ireland. Along with St. Patrick, Bridget had considerable influence on the growth and development of Christianity in Ireland.
Members of the St. Paul’s Chapter are: Margie Baker, Vickie Calby, Jane Chandler, Rita Leigh, Judith Ochse, Penny Pennoyer, Maggie McGee Sock, Brenda Syle, Mary Jane Syle, Sarah Warriner, and Esther Welden.
Holy Name of Mary Church, Montrose, is continuing the Lenten season with an evensong on Sunday, February 20, 6:00 p.m. All in the community are invited to join for a time to quiet ourselves down with prayer from sacred scripture.
Friday evenings at 7:00 p.m. – Stations of the Cross and Mass.
Saturday mornings, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., except March 19 – Reconciliation.
Monthly Eucharistic Adoration – Friday, March 4 after the 12:10 p.m. Mass until Stations of the Cross at 7:00 p.m., followed by Benediction and Mass with Men of the Sacred Heart.
Father Nash serves as Pastor.
The churches of the Tri-Boro Ministerium announce the noontime Lenten service schedule for this 2005 Lenten season. All of the services begin on Wednesdays at noon, followed by a luncheon meal.
February 16 – Lakeview Mennonite Church.
February 23 – St. John’s Roman Catholic Church.
March 2 – Christ Episcopal Church.
March 9 – North Jackson United Methodist Church.
March 16 – Lanesboro Community Church.
March 23 – Susquehanna United Methodist Church.
News | Living | Sports | Schools | Churches | Ads | Events
Military | Columns | Ed/Op | Obits | Archive | Subscribe