Main News
County Living
Church Announcements
Dated Events
Military News
Subscribe to the Transcript


Our Annual Apple Festival

Special Is Running

September 5th Call Today To Place Your Ad

Please visit our kind sponsors

Issue Home August 11, 2007 Site Home

100 Years Ago
From the Desk of the D.A.
The Healthy Geezer
Straight From Starrucca
Veterans’ Corner

100 Years Ago

HEART LAKE: Albert Bronson, of Montrose, very unexpectedly had the opportunity presented, in which he sacrificed his own life in order to save a young lad from a watery grave. Mr. Bronson went out to the ice house docks, in the early evening hours, to take a plunge before the train homeward came along. When he reached the docks he met young Wood of Heart Lake, who said he thought he would go in too. Albert was not long in discovering that the boy knew but little about the art of swimming and decided to keep an eye on him. When out in the rippling waves about 20 ft. from the dock, the boy evidently grew nervous and his antics attracted Albert’s attention. He quickly swam out to the drowning lad and none too soon. Wood had gone down and when he reached him, was in a second struggle. Albert grasped his hand and the boy gave a grip like death but also grabbed Albert around the neck and in an instant both were under the water. Being cool-headed, Albert was guided by the best impulses and treaded water until he struck bottom. Young Wood was safely back on the dock and after awhile had fully recovered from the shock and Albert came home none the worse for the thrilling experience.

LENOX: The annual reunion of the Tower family was held at the home of C. L. Carey, in West Lenox, July 27, and fifty-two responded to the call. Relatives were present from North Dakota (E.J. Moore, of Fargo), Wisconsin, Vermont, New York and nearby towns. Prayer was offered by Rev. C. M. Tower, of Oneida, NY; “America” was sung; followed by reminiscences of grandpa and grandma by several in attendance.

FOREST CITY: “Camp Happy” installed on the eastern shore of Newton Lake by a party of Forest City boys has well earned the name adopted. The campers are having the “Time of their lives” and are showing the good results of Messrs. Dunniers’ cooking. The camp is daily visited by many friends from town who are always welcome. Some of the members found it necessary to return home Saturday as their vacation period had expired. The roll call of the camp was answered by the following: James Meehan, Edward & Arthur Dunnier, Charles Scubic, Elmer Knapp, Joe Sears and Will Rowe, of Carbondale.

OAKLAND: One of the most terrible and thrilling auto accidents ever recorded in this State occurred Sunday afternoon on the Windsor road, not far form the Lanesboro Dam. Harry G. Brush, of the firm of Brush & Touhey, of Susquehanna, accompanied by his daughter, Helen, aged six; Frances Griffin, aged five, and John Boylan, started out after dinner for a ride in Mr. Brush’s auto touring car. In attempting to turn around near the Lanesboro dam, where there is a steep embankment of nearly 40 ft., leading to the river’s edge, Mr. Brush in some unaccountable manner, lost control of the car. It made a fierce plunge down the embankment and into the river. The car was a complete wreck. Dr. Clayton Washburn was summoned and administered to the medical needs of the injured children. Mr. Brush was at once removed to the Beach Sanitarium, where it was found he had sustained a compound fracture of the left leg. Little Helen Brush never rallied from the shock resulting from her injuries and death relieved her of all suffering at 9:30 on Sunday evening. Little Frances Griffin, who was badly bruised and perhaps internally injured, rallied some Monday afternoon and appeared slightly improved. Mr. Boylan, by making a jump for life, fortunately escaped injury, but the accident has produced quite a nervous shock to him.

DIMOCK: All arrangements have been made for holding the camp meeting at Dimock next week. A tank holding 25 barrels of pure, clean, spring water, with ice, will be placed within 50 feet of the auditorium. The old springs have been cleaned out and pipes run from them to the watering troughs for horses.

THOMPSON: The death of George Wallace, an old veteran of the Civil War, occurred at the home of his youngest daughter, Mrs. Ira Latham, on August 2nd. Deceased was born in the township of Minnisink, Orange Co., N.Y., July 22, 1822 and in 1842 he was united in marriage to Bethia Johnson at a Universalist Association at Gibson. In belief he was a Spiritualist. Of the seven children born to his home, only four remain to mourn his death-Mrs. Ira Ward, of Springville; Mrs. T. J. Lewis, of Montdale; G. M. Lewis of Ararat, and Mrs. Ira Latham, of Thompson.

MONTROSE: Carl R. Camp, who for some time has been in charge of the erection of the large steel pier now being built at Atlantic City, arrived last evening for a brief visit at the home of his mother, Mrs. B. O. Camp. Mr. Camp is recognized as one of the best of the younger mechanical engineers and has been employed to superintend several large contracts where mental grasp and skill are required. AND: A noticeable and appreciated improvement is the tearing up of the old wooden sidewalk on the Stamp property on Jackson street to give place to the putting down of a stone walk. We hope the day of the plank sidewalk in Montrose will soon be past.

LYNN, Springville Twp.: Dr. A. D. Tewksbury, of Tunkhannock, relates that while traveling out in the direction of Lynn, three or four days ago with his automobile, he noticed an obstruction in the road. His machine swerved around it, and an examination showed it to be the heel of a scythe blade perhaps a foot and a half long, set with the edge upward. It was blocked with stones to hold it in that position, leaving no doubt that it was placed there intentionally to ruin auto tires.

SUSQUEHANNA: The marriage of Howard Thomas Collins, of Susquehanna, and Miss Lillian Dalley, of Malden, occurred at Providence, August 7th. The bride is a chorus girl in the “Piff, Paff, Pouff” company, of which Mr. Collins is the musical director.

RUSH: Israel Sivers and Marian Jagger were married on Wednesday, Aug. 7, at the home of the bride’s parents by Rev. Mead, of the M. E. church. Only the immediate relatives were present. The following evening a reception was given them, at which a host of friends gathered to offer congratulations. Mr. and Mrs. Sivers were the recipients of many useful and beautiful gifts. Dainty refreshments were served and a general good time was had. They have rented the Wright Bedell property and will begin housekeeping.

BROOKLYN: Next Sunday morning Rev. Drury will preach to the Order of American Boys, in the Universalist church, on the subject, “The Boys We Need.”

NEWS BRIEF: A locomotive has just been turned out of the American Locomotive shops at Schenectady that is the largest engine in the world. It weighs 510,000 pounds and can haul 210 loaded freight cars, making a train 1 1/2 miles long. The fire box alone, of this mammoth locomotive, is as large as a living room and has a grate area of 100 sq. ft. It is designed for the Erie railroad to push heavy trains up the grade between Susquehanna and Gulf Summit.

Back to Top


From the Desk of the D.A.
By District Attorney Jason J. Legg

Have you ever taken a long lunch, or, simply not returned to work and taken the rest of the day off? You just needed a break and decided that everything could wait until tomorrow, and it was too nice a day to spend at work. While this may be a good tool for relieving stress and unwinding, it is not a recommended course of action when you are a criminal defendant scheduled for a trial.

David Flores was charged with criminal trespass and theft offenses and he decided that he wanted a jury trial. Flores and his defense counsel appeared for jury selection and, throughout the morning session, they picked a jury to hear the case. After the jury had been selected, the judge took a lunch recess and informed Flores, defense counsel, the prosecutor, and all of the jurors that the trial would get started after the lunch recess. After the lunch recess, everyone was in the courtroom except Flores, who apparently decided that the day of his trial was a good day to take a long lunch. Without the defendant being present, what was the judge going to do?

The Constitution specifically provides a defendant the right to be present at his trial. This is considered an important component of due process and assures that a defendant will have the opportunity to assist in his defense, confront his accusers through cross-examination, present his own witnesses, and potentially testify on his own behalf. While this is an important right, the courts have routinely concluded that this right can be waived by the defendant’s refusal to appear at his trial.

In considering this issue, the courts have noted that our criminal justice system affords accused individuals with substantial protections and rights. A criminal defendant is presumed innocent until such time as the Commonwealth has established guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. A criminal defendant is entitled to have legal counsel throughout all critical stages of a criminal prosecution, and, if he cannot afford legal counsel, the state provides him a competent attorney, together with such things as investigators and experts, at no cost. A defendant has a right to confront his witnesses and accusers in open court. A defendant has a right to remain silent and cannot be compelled to testify against himself. A defendant has a right to a jury trial before his peers from the community selected in a manner that assures they are fair and impartial, and the defendant has the right to be present at his trial.

With all of these protective rights, a criminal defendant will not be allowed to paralyze the criminal justice system by simply refusing to attend his trial. In other words, where a criminal defendant knowingly refuses to appear for trial, the trial will continue in absentia, i.e., without the defendant. During these circumstances, the courts view the defendant’s deliberate decision to abscond and miss his trial date as a knowing waiver of his right to be present at trial. In such circumstances, the show must go on without the lead character.

When David Flores decided to take a long lunch, his defense attorney requested a continuance of the trial. The court was less than amused and denied the motion. The trial commenced in Flores’ absence, the prosecution presented its case, and the defense attorney defended Flores to the extent that he could without his client. The judge specifically instructed the jury that they were to make no inference of the defendant’s guilt based upon his absence from the proceeding. Yeah, right. The jury had seen Flores in the morning when they were selected and everyone else returned for the trial, except for Flores, who failed to appear without explanation or excuse. The jury convicted Flores on all counts.

Surprisingly, Flores did appear for his sentencing hearing with a number of excuses to support his request for a new trial. First, Flores contended that he had car problems that prevented his return for the afternoon trial. Second, after seeing this excuse was not working, he then contended that he did not know the trial was continuing in the afternoon. Flores apparently did not understand that his first and second excuses contradicted each other – and it is always a bad idea to lie to the judge right before being sentenced. The judge sent Flores to state prison where he probably won’t have the opportunity for any long lunches for a few years.

Please submit any questions, concerns, or comments to Susquehanna County District Attorney’s Office, P.O. Box 218, Montrose, Pennsylvania 18801 or at

Back to Top


The Healthy Geezer
By Fred Cicetti

Q. My son picked up an infection in the hospital recently. It sounded like the doctors were calling it “see-dift.” It gave him terrible diarrhea. Do you know what this is?

The doctors were referring to the bacterium Clostridium difficile, which is often called C. diff or C. difficile. There’s a good chance you’ll be hearing more about C. diff because infections are increasing throughout the world.

In recent years, C. diff has become one of the most common infections in hospitals, and it can be fatal. C. diff can produce two virulent toxins that attack the lining of the intestine. In the United States, C. diff causes at least 5,000 deaths annually.

C. diff is what is called a “healthcare-associated infection,” which means that it is one you pick up in a hospital or similar facility such as a nursing home. About one in five hospital patients get C. diff, but only about one in three of these suffer symptoms. C. diff isn’t just an institutional threat; you can get it elsewhere.

C. diff bacteria are omnipresent, but they don’t pose a threat unless they multiply abnormally in the intestines. This can happen when you take antibiotics.

There are hundreds of types of bacteria in your intestinal tract that you need to maintain good health. Antibiotics often destroy these beneficial bacteria while trying to kill off the ones that are making you sick. If you don’t have enough good bacteria in your body, C. diff can proliferate.

C. diff can cause diarrhea with 10 or more watery bowel movements daily. C. diff can also produce severe colon inflammations, including fatal colitis. C. diff is suspected of causing almost all intestinal infections following therapy with antibiotics.

Older people are at greater risk of getting C. diff because they are more likely to be hospitalized and treated with antibiotics, and they are especially susceptible to recurring infections.

While C. diff can be brought on by antibiotic therapy, it can also be fought off with certain antibiotics. However, in recent years, C. diff has become more virulent. Stronger strains of C. diff can make about 20 times as many toxins as common strains. The new strains are more resistant to treatment.

There are several ways to test for C. diff.: a stool test for toxins, a colon examination with a scope, and a CAT scan.

The number of C. diff infections can be reduced by avoiding the unnecessary use of antibiotics.

Antibiotics are used to combat bacteria, not viruses. So, these potent drugs should be used for infections of the ear, sinuses, urinary tract and skin. They’re also used to treat strep throat. They should not be used for viruses that cause most sore throats, coughs, colds and flu.

However, doctors in the USA write about 50 million antibiotic prescriptions for viral illnesses anyway. Patient pressure is a major cause for these prescriptions.

If you must take an antibiotic, ask your doctor for one with a narrow range; broad-spectrum antibiotics are more likely to disrupt intestinal bacteria.

Saccharomyces boulardii, a natural yeast, is effective in treating C. difficile infections in conjunction with antibiotics. It is classified as a “probiotic.” Probiotics help restore a healthy balance in the intestines. Probiotics are available in many pharmacies and natural food stores.

If you have a question, please write to

Back to Top


Straight From Starrucca
By Danielle Williams

No Straight From Starrucca This Week

Back to Top


Veterans’ Corner

This is the second of two columns dedicated to the Miner family.

Spc. 5 John D. Miner

John was a graduate of Tunkhannock High School, Class of 1961.

He enlisted in the U.S. Army on August 20, 1963, to August 19, 1966.

He completed basic training at the U.S. Army Infantry Training School at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.

On May 28, 1964 he completed a fifteen-week Manual Central Office Repair Course at the U.S. Army Southeastern Signal School at Fort Gordon, Georgia, where he received an “Honor Graduate” certificate for attaining the highest academic average in his class.

After completing Signal Corps training, he was assigned to the 206th Signal Company LB Fort Gordon, Georgia. In November, 1964 the company moved to Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

John served eleven months in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, from September, 1965 to August, 1966. Assigned to the 5th Logistical Command under 82nd Airborne located in Fort Bragg, NC, as Chief Maintenance man of a nine position switchboard.

He received his PFC rank (E3) in January, 1964; Spc. 4 rank (E4) March, 1965; Spc. 5 rank (E5) December, 1965.

He received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and the National Defense Service medal.

John is the son of Elizabeth and the late William H. Miner of Tunkhannock.

Spc. 4 Edward D. Miner

Edward was a graduate of Boonton High School in New Jersey, Class of 1978. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in September of 1979, to September of 1982.

He completed his basic training at Fort Dix, NJ. He completed Mechanic School at Fort Ord, California. He spent fourteen months in Bamberg, Germany.

He received the Good Conduct Medal.

Edward is the son of Lula and Edward H. Miner of Friendsville, PA, and the grandson of Elizabeth and the late William H. Miner of Tunkhannock.

Spc. 4 William S. Miner, Jr.

William was a graduate of Tunkhannock High School, Class of 1982. He enlisted in the U.S. Army on July 21, 1982, to March 15, 1985. He completed basic training and Military Police training at Fort McClellan, Alabama. His first permanent station was Fort Meade, Maryland. From March, 1984 to March, 1985 he was stationed in Seoul, Korea with the Military Police 501st Battalion.

He received the Good Conduct Medal.

William is the son of Sandy and William S. Miner, Sr. of Mehoopany, and the grandson of Elizabeth and the late William H. Miner, Tunkhannock.

Lt. Col. Patrick S. Miner

Lt. Col. Patrick S. Miner is stationed in Okinawa, Japan with the 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (A) Airborne.

Back to Top


News  |  Living  |  Sports  |  Schools  |  Churches  |  Ads  |  Events
Military  |  Columns  |  Ed/Op  |  Obits  | Archive  |  Subscribe